Tuesday, December 1, 2009

In the Beauty of the Evening by Jaye Lewis


In the beauty of the evening
Through the garden as I stroll,
I walk among the lilies
To renew my burdened soul.

As I ponder on my troubles
And replay my anxious thoughts,
I can hear my Savior whisper
Peace cannot be bought.

What words are these?
What can He mean?
Peace is brokered every day,
But not the peace I give to you;
It cannot be stripped away.

I pondered all He said to me,
Never doubting what I heard.
Though heart and mind were troubled,
I believed His every word.

Peace to you, my daughter.
You are precious in my sight.
I am your strength and comfort,
Through the dark and lonely night.

The evening breeze turned cooler,
And a chill crept up my spine,
As I heard my Master whisper,
Daughter, you are Mine.

I can’t express the wonder
That filled my troubled soul —
To know my Savior loves me,
As He makes my spirit whole.

I know that I’ll not be alone,
As I slowly lose my sight.
I need not fear the night time
For I’m bathed within His light.

And so I journey onward,
My dreams held in His heart.
I need not fear the future,
For He will not depart.

So here with His assurance,
I can promise with each line,
You can hear the Master saying,
Beloved, you are mine.

© Jaye Lewis, November, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment