Monday, January 4, 2010

The Knockout Rose by Jaye Lewis


When we first moved into our home, about twelve years ago, the front yard was nothing but weeds, clay, and rock. I thought, I’ll never live to see beauty in this yard. Why on earth did we move here? I had no ideas. No clues. So, we just started, right where we were, and by the grace of God, we made a garden.

The picture I’ve included in this message, is of my lily garden. What? I don’t see any lilies? Oh yes you do. This is my lily garden in the spring, filled with roses. In every lily garden you want to have companion plants. The perfect companion plant for lilies are roses. Roses are at their best in spring and early to mid-summer. So, while you await summer’s promise of gorgeous waxen lilies, it’s so lovely to watch the roses bloom. These roses are the original Knockout Rose, a wonderful rose specimen that appeared on the market around 1998.

The Knockout Rose is disease and pest resistant, and it is nearly invincible in the southern Appalachians where I live. We have atrocious soil, enough rocks to build a house, and diseases and pests that are of Biblical proportions. When I planted my beauties, the neighborhood “garden-watch” could not resist saying to me:

“You can’t grow roses here.”

Now, since it was my yard, I felt, I could grow anything I wanted. So, I planted roses, about twenty of them, and they all died within a week. Japanese beetles defoliated every single rose bush. Even the Knockout Rose. Seeing the bare, green stalks nearly killed me. What was wrong with me that I didn’t have my mother’s magic with gardens and plants?

I went into the house and cried into my pillow for an hour. I’ll just wait until tomorrow to dig up the roses, I told myself. The next morning I began digging up what was to have been my rose garden. It was hard work. The sun was relentless, and I had to take many breaks. It was late afternoon before I got to the Knockout rose. My dreams dashed, I couldn’t see for the tears pouring from my eyes. Brushing them aside angrily, I started to dig. Wait a minute. Something was different. I bent closer to the plant, and to my surprise there were tiny buds of new growth. I couldn’t believe it, but I was encouraged enough to leave the last two roses alone.

You could literally see my beautiful Knockouts recover from the assault of the Japanese beetles. With nearly breakneck speed, first a leaf, then two, then three, appeared on each stalk. Morning and evening I checked on the growth of the remarkable rose. Mid-July heat or not, the Knockout Rose was true to its name. It seemed to shout at me. Never give up! Never call retreat! I listened to the courage of the Knockout Rose. No matter what plant dies ― and lots of things die in a southern garden, from disease or pests or weeds ― I’ll never give up on the possibilities of the next growing plant. That was nearly twelve years ago, yet my resolve has remained unshaken. No matter what, I will not accept defeat, not in the garden nor in my life.

Life, like a garden, is filled with pests and diseases. Troubles bang at our doors. Disappointment rips away at our resolve, and we just want the whole problem to go away. One predicament after another can defeat us, as if we are waiting expectantly to be buried. I know. I’ve lived it. Depression can crush us, and disappointment and heartache are waiting to conquer our spirits. It is so easy to give up, but do not quit. Do not give in. Hold on. There is a better tomorrow, for you and for the things you love.

During the last twelve summers, I have had numerous times that I wanted to quit. My health has deteriorated, and I have discovered that there are plants that simply will not thrive in our climate and our soil. They may be a weak variety, the wrong variety, or they simply don’t belong in a mountain garden.

Lilies and the Knockout rose are laughing exceptions to “let’s give up.” They will grow and flourish, no matter where you put them. Since that first year with the original Knockout, there have been many new cultivars of the original plant. We will get to them in another post, but take it from me, if it’s a rose that has the name “Knockout” don’t hesitate to buy it. Welcome it into your garden, along with lilies and other lily companions. Then step back and watch the blooms.

Father in heaven. It is in the garden that I feel closest to You. The peace of quiet growing things is lovely music to my soul. When a seedling grows, and becomes a tree, I can’t describe the joy that I feel. And when the lilies bloom, I can hardly believe they are real. Although bugs may alight on them, the strength of my lilies conquers all. I think that is why you mentioned them with love and admiration. How I love You, Lord, and I love all the beautiful things that you give me in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment